I have another sentence I'm grappling with *[see footnote for context]:

キラかどうかの判断{はんだん}裁量{さいりょう}にはなりえない

I'm pretty sure from my dictionaries that 判断 means "judgement" but cannot figure out what makes sense for 裁量. All I can find is "admeassure[ment]", "discretion" or "judgement" again, which would be weird, because the compound would mean "judgement judgement". None of these options seem to make sense, so some interpretation help would be appreciated.

I understand the rest of the grammar. Whatever this word compound is "cannot become", which in English would mean "cannot be [in the future]". Thus it's crucial to understand this compound.

The translation reads "I won't be able to use this to figure out whether or not he's Kira." so the translators seemed to have just ignored one or both words from the compound.

Note on context:

The speaker is a detective who is playing tennis with a suspect in the "Kira" case in order to try to figure him out. Kira is a notorious serial killer.

Dictionaries:

http://jisho.org/ [wwwdjic];
http://ejje.weblio.jp/

closed as off-topic by naruto, macraf, Flaw Nov 4 '16 at 5:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – naruto, macraf, Flaw
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

「判断[材料]{ざいりょう}」の間違いだと思います・・ – Chocolate Nov 4 '16 at 1:14
  • "Judgement materials / ingredients"? – Delectable Tea Nov 4 '16 at 2:08
  • 画像: i.stack.imgur.com/R5Pb4.png ALC: 判断材料 – naruto Nov 4 '16 at 2:13
  • そうですね、"material for judgment", つまり "basis for a decision" "sufficient data on which to base a decision" みたいな。。 – Chocolate Nov 4 '16 at 2:18
  • @naruto わ、すげーw そんな画像どうやって見つけてくるの~ – Chocolate Nov 4 '16 at 2:20

I'm pretty sure that this is a mistake and should read, 「判断 材料{ざいりょう}」.

It would be easy to mistype 材料{ざいりょう} as 裁量{さいりょう}.

• Oh, I just noticed chocolate's comment. So, I agree then. – sazarando Nov 4 '16 at 1:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.