From this page, I see this sentence:

Note: Be careful of the tense of the verb that comes before 「前」 and 「後」. 「前」 is non-past while 「後」 is always past tense.

I am confused because it is quite weird to disallow the usage of non-past tense before 後. What if I'm talking about the things that I will do tomorrow? For example, which should I use if I want to say "I will go to school after I have breakfast tomorrow"?

明日は、朝ご飯を食べ後、学校に行く。

明日は、朝ご飯を食べ後、学校に行く。

This た doesn't mean "past" but "completion". It isn't unnatural that た which means "completion" is used in things in the future.

So 明日は、朝ご飯を食べた後、学校に行く is correct.

Oh I see! I thought Japanese had completely changed from using aspects to using tenses! Apparently some parts of it still have the concept of "aspects"! :) – Sweeper Nov 2 '16 at 17:14
    @Sweeper When I took Japanese in college just a few years ago, we were taught that Japanese uses aspect more than tense, so it seems in general Japanese is still more on the aspect side of things. – JAB Nov 2 '16 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.