Today I saw this sentence from this page:

その部長は、よく長時間働かせる。

After chopping the sentence up, I found out that it means something around the lines of:

That manager makes people work for very long periods of time.

But I could not understand why よく is there. So I scrolled down to look at the English translation, but that said nothing about why よく is here.

From my knowledge, よく is the adverb form of 良い (いい), which means "good".

But it does not make sense to use "well" or anything like that to describe the action of making people work for a long time! Who wants to work for long hours! How is it "good"?

Why exactly is よく used here? Is it something related to the causative form?

You should note that the adverb よく has many meanings that include

often, frequently.

It doesn't always mean

nicely, well, skillfully, etc.

It all depends on context.

• does that mean 良い has those meanings as well? i.e. often, frequent... – Sweeper Oct 31 '16 at 11:58
  • @Sweeper 良い doesn't have a connotation related with "often" or "frequently". However, the meaning of よく is kind of derived from the meaning of the adjective. For example, if someone does something well, it could mean he does it often, frequently. – Rathony Oct 31 '16 at 12:01

it means "That manager often makes people work for very long periods of time" よく in this sentence means "often"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.