I have a question regarding this kanji: 𤼵. Is it the same kanji with this 發 or 発?

The kanji of the Green dragon tiles in Japan is usually 𤼵 which is slightly different from 發 since it includes the kanji 矢 instead of 殳." (Wikipedia - Japanese Mahjong).

On last summer Japan trip, I was looking for some calligraphy stuffs near Asakusa, then I asked the Obasan to make me 發 word. She asked me whether that is 発 "Hatsu" because she said she doesn't know that word (發) exists in Japanese. But she did not tell me this kanji: 𤼵.

I know 發 word from Chinese 發財 and HK Mahjong.

I hope native/Japanese expert could explain this to me.

發 is a old character form. 発 is a new character form. Japanese don't use 發 in a normal life. I didn't know what the word ether. But, Japanese Mahjong players should know 發.

http://kanji.jitenon.jp/sp/kanjil/5749.html

I still can't write English well. I would be glad if I could help you even just a little.

Thank you very much for your answer. After saw your answer, then I searched about it and found the term Shinjitai. I did not know Japanese has this, I only know there are simplified and traditional for Chinese. I am going to learn more about Japanese now. – Yuuta Takanashi Oct 29 '16 at 14:10
  • These characters are the same: Traditional, Japanese-variant (Shin-jitai) and Simplified: 發・発・发 - But you may see this word in Japanese: 撥水 where the right-side of the first kanji has not been officially simplified. – sazarando Oct 31 '16 at 2:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.