In my Japanese book it gives the following examples:

• Nihongo o hanashite mo iidesuka? Renshuu o shitai desu. = Do you mind if we speak Japanese, I would like to practice it.
  • ohanashi suru = have a talk
  • Ohanashi dekite yokatta desu. = It was nice talking with you.
  • Motto oshiete kudasai! = tell me more
  • Anata no kazoku ni tsuite oshiete kudasai. = Tell me about your family

What's the difference between ohanashi and oshiete? They both seem to relate to talking/speaking, but I can't tell the difference.

おしえて (from おしえる) means "to teach". So you can think of these examples as passing on information about the topic.

• Tell me about your family → "Teach me information about your family" (even though we wouldn't say it that way in English)
  • "Tell me more (information about whatever we're talking about)"

Note that there is even a difference between はなす and はなし(を)する. The former simply means "to talk" (the act of talking), while the latter means "to have a talk" (2 or more people actively engaged).

• What's the difference in meaning between "the act of talking" and "having a talk". It seems quite similar to me? Thanks! – big_smile Oct 28 '16 at 10:59
    Let me ask you this: "My boss is talking with one of my co-workers" vs "My boss is having a talk with one of my co-workers". What kind of feeling does each one give you? – istrasci Oct 28 '16 at 15:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.