In my Japanese text book it says the following:

Rondon kara jyuuichi jikan no hikouki de no idou desu /
it's 11 hours flight from London

hikouki de no idou = flight

I understand hikouki means flight and idou means change. But I don't follow what hikouki de no idou means. Could someone explain? Thanks!

that's why you should not use textbooks with only romaji – Igor Skochinsky Oct 25 '16 at 19:12
    I'm kind of surprised to see non-standard romanization like that in a textbook. Did you romanize this yourself, big_smile? – snailcar Oct 26 '16 at 0:44
  • @snailplane, No, it was like that in the book. – big_smile Oct 27 '16 at 14:41

I believe you're thinking of the wrong idou. This 異動 means "change(s)". This 移動 means "movement/transfer", or can be used for "travel". Also, hikouki means "airplane". I've never heard it used to mean "a flight"; that is usually [便]{びん}.

So it means An 11-hour airplane travel/trip from London.

Yes, unless the learners have not yet reached to the level where same pronunciation could happend in accorandce with Kanji, well, that would be hard for them, I think. – Kentaro Tomono Oct 26 '16 at 3:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.