Its recorded on Fisher Price toy TV remote control. That's what my Japanese wife says but she doesn't speak slowly so I can't be sure. I have no hits on Google search so it that right? If not what is the correct name?

  • 4
    むすんでひらいて I guess
    – oals
    Oct 23, 2016 at 8:51
  • 6
    Could you maybe ask your wife to speak slowly before asking here?
    – Earthliŋ
    Oct 23, 2016 at 10:17
  • Are you wanting to ask about Pat-a-cake or about nursery rhymes in general?
    – Earthliŋ
    Oct 23, 2016 at 10:21
  • 1
    If you want to know about むすんでひらいて, watch this youtube.com/watch?v=oypsXiOM3S0 Oct 23, 2016 at 10:59

1 Answer 1


It's a children's song called "むすんでひらいて" (musunde hiraite)


むすぶ(musubu)=tie a knot ("make a fist")

ひらく(hiraku)=open [something]

The song title in English is "open your hand and close your hand"

P.S. Tho I do like your song title! "steal and open" :D

  • So does this mean that Japanese really don't have have a similar game to that in the West youtube.com/watch?v=WeYBmJPswe0 If they do what is it called- its a partner game with partner hand contact. Oct 24, 2016 at 9:43
  • 1
    @user2617804 "Yankie Doodle" is known as アルプス一万尺【いちまんじゃく】 (lit. "Ten thousand feet Alpine") in Japan, and is very famous: youtu.be/Z57Mf2934-w But it doesn't sound like ぬすんではらいて at all...
    – naruto
    Oct 24, 2016 at 17:23
  • @user2617804 If they do what is it called- its a partner game with partner hand contact. It's called [手遊]{てあそ}び[歌]{うた}. ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… アルプス一万尺、みかんの花、茶摘み are 2人組で遊ぶ手遊び歌 (手遊び歌 that you play with a partner). むすんでひらいて is a 手遊び歌 too, but you don't need a partner to play it.
    – chocolate
    Oct 25, 2016 at 13:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .