The speaker is defending her teacher:

「毎日クラス全員のこと、こまかくノートに書いてるんだよ。会話したことまで
Every day, in her notebook, she made detailed notes about all the class. Even as far as conversations.

Am I correct that verb-ことまで means "to go as far as doing verb"?

I'm not 100% sure about the verb here. Is した just a substitute for 書いた? i.e. is it talking about writing down the conversations, or is it talking about the act of conversing itself?

した in 会話した is simply a part of the suru-verb 会話する ("to converse"), which is an intransitive verb that does not take を.

If we took this こと after 会話した as a nominalizer, this would mean "She writes even the fact her classmates conversed", which makes almost no sense to me. The mere fact that "students made a conversation" is not a meaningful piece of information because students do so every day.

So I think this こと simply is "things", and 会話したこと means "the things we conversed about", or "the contents of our conversations".

Relative clauses in Japanese can have an adverbial relationship with the modified noun (Type B in this question), and can be safely used with intransitive verbs.

Examples:

• よく行く場所 the place we often go to
  • 何か書くもの something to write with (eg, a pen)
  • 何か書くこと something to write about (eg, an event)
  • 感謝の気持ちを表す言葉 words with which I can express my gratitude
| improve this answer | |

According to the dictionary, 会話 can be followed by する.
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/37284/meaning/m0u/%E4%BC%9A%E8%A9%B1/

会話する = to talk
会話した = talked
会話したこと = the fact that I talked
会話したことまで = even the fact that I talked

Strictly speaking, it is talking about the act of conversing itself, but I think it includes the conversations.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.