Is it ever proper to end questions with だ? For instance:

誰だ?

どんな食べ物は好きだ?

I have been told it was correct and incorrect by many parties, but I've always learned to just raise the ending intonation to denote an inquiry.

• Yes. If you want to raise a discussion, it is proper. Proved. The rest is purely subjective and contextual. – macraf Oct 20 '16 at 23:22
    どんな食べ物は好きだ? -> You'd use が, not は. どんな食べ物好きだ?Cf: 「何ありますか?」(not 何は~~) 「誰来たの?」(not 誰は~~) – Chocolate Oct 20 '16 at 23:24

Interrogative phrases ending in だ (with the exception of dialects) are used to demand information.

As in the following:

• 誰だ!・何者だ! - "Who!", "Who goes there!"
  • どこだ! - "Where!", "Where is it!"
  • いつだ! - "When!", "When is it!"
  • 何だ! - "What!"
  • 何のつもりだ! - "What are you trying to do!", "What's your intention!"
  • おい!そこでなにしてるんだ! - "Hey! What are you doing over there!"
  • 誰に向かって物言ってるんだ! - "Who do you think you're talking to!"
  • I somewhat understand you, but almost every question phrase "demands information", doesn't it? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question – broccoli forest Oct 21 '16 at 14:51
  • In a way I think it's a difference between a demand and a request. Like the difference between お名前はなんですか (I'm requesting you to provide your name) and 名前は何だ (I'm demanding that you tell me your name). – sazarando Oct 24 '16 at 1:59

か is the usual way to ask a question, but it is quite acceptable to drop the か if you use a proper "questioning" intonation. You could just say "好き?" if you used the proper intonation.

... 誰だ? -- could be a regular question.

... 誰だ? -- could be a [rhetorical question]. See Is a sentence ending with 誰だ but without か a question?

どんな食べ物が好きだ? -- is typical of an adult speaking to a child.

Kind-of like (in English) : [Do you like this cake?] --vs.-- [You like this cake?]
[Is this good?] --vs.-- [This is good?]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.