I got this question from a JPLT quiz app:-

ドラマを見つづけていたら、朝になってしまいました

I'm guessing it means "As I was watching the drama, it became morning", but noticed both clauses go through the "continuing action" conjugation multiple times. Wouldn't a simpler way of saying that be:-

ドラマを見つづけたら、朝になりました

What other nuances are being implied here?

ドラマを見つづけていたら、朝になってしまいました

The ~ていたら indicates that something happened while you're doing the action, meaning "while I was doing~~", and ~てしまいました indicates an unintended result or the speaker's regret.

Examples:

• テレビを見ていたら、電話が鳴った。
    While I was watching TV, the phone rang.
  • ガラスを割ってしまいました。/ ガラスが割れてしまいました
    I (unintentionally) broke the glass. / The glass broke (and I feel sorry about it).

ドラマを見つづけたら、朝になりました。

This sentence has lost both of the meanings/nuances of "while I was doing~~" and "unintended result or regret". And ドラマを見つづけたら part sounds a little unnatural to me, because it sounds like "When/As I continued watching dramas, morning came", "I continued watching dramas, and because of that / as a result of that, morning came."

Example:

• 触ったら、壊れました。
    I touched it, and (because of that,) it broke.
  • Cf: 触っていたら、壊れました。
    While I was touching it, it broke.

Same difference as "While I continued to watch the drama..." and "While I was continuing to watch the drama..." I suppose.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.