I am learning about は particle that is used as contrast particle. suppose I want to express "I like blue car but I don't like any other colors". can I say it this way 私はあおい車はすきだ ? and what's the difference with 私はあおい車がすきだ ?

Yes, exactly. Both sentences are perfectly grammatical, but 私は青【あお】い車は好【す】きだ implies you don't like cars which aren't blue, because the contrast particle は is used at the place where が is normally used. 私は青い車が好きだ simply means "I like blue cars."

• so if we use が the speaker is trying to say he like blue car but it means there is a chance the speaker also like any other colors or he doesn't like any other colors at all? – Kakashi Oct 20 '16 at 4:22
  • @Kakashi It depends. If you use が, It's plain "I like blue cars". You may or may not like red ones. Using は is like saying "I like blue cars" ("blue" part stressed). – naruto Oct 20 '16 at 4:39
    ありがとう先生! crap it seems i chose wrong username this time. – Kakashi Oct 20 '16 at 4:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.