Sorry if my example is a bit out of context. But I wonder if it is grammatically correct to write 神々しささえ感じさせる異様な像?

What confuses me most is the fact that it is a verb and then a na-adjective right after.

Also if you could give an advice on how I should think when translating that would be appreciated. Right now I'm just thinking what sounds most natural, but is there a specific order you should follow? If there is a "system" for Japanese to English translating it would be good to know.

This example.

驚くほど大きく神々しささえ感じさせる異様な像だったという

This is my guess on translation:

It was said to be a strange statue that was surprisingly big and even felt divine.

Or is it something with "divine strange statue".

On the other hand, I'm confused with what this question is about. Seems like two or three different ones with one a bit out of topic (system for translating). – macraf Oct 19 '16 at 23:16

驚くほど大きく ("surprisingly big (and)"), 神々しささえ感じさせる ("(which) causes even a divine feeling") and 異様な ("peculiar") all modify 像. Alternatively, you can think 神々しささえ感じさせる modifies the noun phrase 異様な像 ("peculiar statue") as a whole.

As you already know, 神々しささえ感じさせる is a relative clause that always modifies a noun. So if another adjective follows right after, you have to "wait" for the next noun (or noun phrase), which is 像 in this case.

The order is important: if the sentence were 異様な神々しささえ感じさせる像, people will take this 異様な as the word that modifies 神々しさ (i.e., "peculiar divinity").

... verb and then a na-adjective right after.

See: * "The Japanese language does not have words that function as adjectives in a syntactic sense"

驚くほど大きく神々しささえ感じさせる異様な像だったという。
It was said to be a strange statue that was surprisingly big and even felt divine.

That's near-perfect. Variants :

It was said to be a bizarre statue that was surprisingly large and even a little awe-inspiring.

It was said to be a surprisingly large, and even awe-inspiring, bizarre statue.

I try not to change the order of keywords and key phrases.

If there's a system (i.e., formal procedure), i'd like to know too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.