I've been asked a couple of times by Japanese where my "おく" was, and I just respond to where my country of origin (the answer is what they were expecting so I guess I have the right notion of what it means).

I can't actually find おく in the dictionary referring to country. Is it short for something (like お国)?

Can you recall the full context of what you were asked? Was it something like 「おくはどこですか」or something similar? – sazarando Oct 19 '16 at 5:53
    Yes, could you please share the whole sentence? – snailboat Oct 19 '16 at 6:21
  • one time was simply something like "えと。。おく?" and recently something like "~~~おくは?" – Tyress Oct 19 '16 at 6:30
    @Tyress Are you sure you didn't hear に? – broccoli forest Oct 19 '16 at 9:50

おくに

ejje.weblio.jp -- お国を英語に訳すと ⇒ くに

用例

• お国はどちらですか. Where [What country] do you come from?

• お国では皆さまお変わりもありませんか. Is everybody at home well?

Heimat

For some reason they pronounced the に in おくに very weakly. I'm not sure why. (Local dialect?)

In speech, most ppl are already saying it without the WA as: お国どちらですか? -- and i suppose this sounds a bit like おくんどちらですか? --or-- おくどちらですか?

The vowel in に of おくに is more schwa-like than [i] or [i:] of English or German, for sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.