Can somebody please help me understand the following sentence:

なにをするにも、「おそい」ということはないのじゃから

I am having trouble with the part that I've bolded (じゃから).

I think so far that it means "What ever you do, it doesn't mean ???? "slow".

• I am not certain on this, but it could just be a corruption of だから. – Reveiller Oct 18 '16 at 14:07
  • I have wondered if that were the case. How would you translate it if that were so? – Teresa S-j Oct 18 '16 at 14:15
  • The copula じゃ is not a 'corruption' of だ. Both copula forms じゃ and だ are derived from である. – snailboat Oct 18 '16 at 14:49
  • So, do you think that it's a negative, as in じゃない or じゃありません? – Teresa S-j Oct 18 '16 at 15:20
  • じゃ in じゃない is a contraction of で+は, while じゃ in じゃから is a copula. For more about じゃ as 老人語 / 役割語(role language), you could refer to these posts: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/11134/9831 ・ japanese.stackexchange.com/a/34196/9831 ・ japanese.stackexchange.com/a/12129/9831 – Chocolate Oct 18 '16 at 23:12

のじゃから is the exact same as のだから; in certain dialects, the plain copula is じゃ rather than だ. This is also used in fictional 'role language' to mark a character as elderly or rural.

• Thank you -- so how would you translate the entire sentence? – Teresa S-j Oct 18 '16 at 16:20
  • @TeresaS-j I'm afraid I'm not too sure myself. At a guess, 'No matter what he does, you could hardly call him slow.' – Aeon Akechi Oct 18 '16 at 16:36
  • I think it's like.. "No matter what you are going to do, it's never 'too late'."... does it make sense? – Chocolate Oct 18 '16 at 16:54
  • Yes! I think that fits with the rest of it. thank you! – Teresa S-j Oct 18 '16 at 16:57

Related answer: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/39624/16344

The following list is great & comprehensive -- its stated focus is on recent Anime characters (キャラ語尾, kyara-gobi, Character-suffix)

じゃ == often used by 老人キャラ (old(er) folks)

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E8%AA%9E%E5%B0%BE%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7

じゃ == 老人キャラがよく使う語尾。

容姿が若くみえるキャラでも、設定上用いるケースもある。元ネタは中国地方東部の方言。
中国地方では、現在でも老若男女でこの語尾を当たり前のように使用している。

• 中国地方 has nothing to do with China. 中国地方 includes Hiroshima, Okayama, etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.