I have two questions regarding the style of the classic story 風の又三郎 by 宮沢賢治. (Full text available on 青空文庫)

1) Most of the characters use a dialect which I believe is 岩手弁, which comes from the author's home region. Is this dialogue still spoken today in much the same form, or has it aged/evolved over several centuries? Also, would this dialogue in that era (around 1930s) be spoken by country people, city people, or both?

2) The book is written with a surprising level of politeness I haven't seen before. For example, most descriptive text uses 敬語, even to the extent where ですます調 is used mid-sentence (i.e. ...行きますと...). Also, the teacher's speech when speaking to children is overly polite (ex: ”静かにするのです" instead of ”静かにしなさい"). Is there a cultural/historical/regional reason for this extra politeness?

1) I'm not good at 東北弁 at all, but like any other dialects in Japan, 東北弁 is rather quickly disappearing. I believe only old people in rural areas of Tohoku region can speak fluent 東北弁 today. Even in this novel written more than 80 years ago, 東北弁 is used as a role-language that represents country kids (先生 uses standard Japanese).

2) Fairy tales and folklore (e.g., 桃太郎, シンデレラ) are usually conveyed in this style. 宮沢賢治 is more like a 童話作家 than a 小説家, so I think this writing style was natural to him. People may intentionally choose this writing style when they write an allegorical story or children's story (for example, see 蜘蛛の糸 by 芥川龍之介).

• Thanks for the informative answer. I am not sure if your #2 statement that fairy tales are "usually" conveyed using keigo is correct. I have a bunch of old まんが日本昔ばなし books and out of 13 of them, 8 used Keigo for the non-dialog portions, so around 60% used Keigo. – Locksleyu Oct 18 '16 at 18:30
  • @Locksleyu Here 敬体 is meant to be "soft" rather than "polite". I'm curious about how narrative in those other 5 books are like, since I don't own much 昔話 books myself. Are they written in ~じゃ style or something? – broccoli forest Oct 19 '16 at 17:48
  • アニメのまんが日本昔ばなしは、老人の声で、基本的に「…ということじゃぁ~」か「…流れてきたぁ~」といった語り口だった気がしますね、 – naruto Oct 19 '16 at 17:57
  • あ@broccoliforest: 例:ひかり女房: 「...ぐあいが悪いようすじゃ。」馬方とたぬき:「。。。にげてきたということじゃった」 – Locksleyu Oct 19 '16 at 23:24
    @Locksleyu まんが日本昔話 intentionally simulates narration of old person (じゃ style), but young mothers telling fairy tales to their children will never speak in that way. Typically 童話 look like this: douwa-douyou.jp/contents/html/douwa/douwa6.shtml – naruto Oct 20 '16 at 2:20

I did not read that book, so I will assume that you are correct with your assumption that it is Iwate-ben.

I live in Touhoku in a region very close to Iwate and I must say that the dialects are nearly non existent in the big cities. But my wife's grandparents, who were raised around the 1930 in a very rural place and although I have been very fluent in Japanese for many years, I can absolutely not communicate with them at all. Even most native Japanese cannot communicate with them. My point is, the language has been evolving insanely quickly, and 80 years is a very long time ago.

As for 静かにするのです, it seems about right. Even though they used です instead of だ it still feels quite bossy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.