This question is about suru-verbs, verbs made from a noun and the verb suru (for ex: 鼓 + する). I am familiar with the potential form of suru being 出来る, then suru-verbs potential become Xしえる or Xしうる or Xせる. How would you conjugate suru-verbs into the honorific and humble forms? I know なさる is the honorific form and 致す is the humble form of suru.

I took a couple guesses...

鼓する > 鼓なさる

鼓する > お鼓しになる

• According to this upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/… honorific would be お + stem + なさる can anyone verify? – Koden Oct 15 '16 at 23:55
    The potential form of suru-verbs is Xできる, not Xしえる etc, which have a different meaning from Xできる. 鼓する is only found in kanbun and 鼓なさる or お鼓しになる are practically not used. – user4092 Oct 15 '16 at 23:57
  • I have seen about 101 sites that will disagree with Xできる being the potential form of a suru-verb – Koden Oct 16 '16 at 0:08
  • Aside from terminology, what's important is that ◯しえる is different from ◯できる and that the conjugation like 書く → 書ける share the same meaning as ◯できる, not ◯しえる. – user4092 Oct 16 '16 at 0:23
  • so what is the difference between Xしえる and Xできる? – Koden Oct 16 '16 at 0:27

plain: 利用する
honorific: ご利用になる
humble: 利用させて頂く、利用致します

https://townwork.net/magazine/knowhow/manners/baito_manners/13309/

I don't really hear single-kanji-suru-verbs conjugate into honorific or humble forms except 信じられる or rarely 信じなさる (honorific). If you dare to want humble versions, I'm afraid you have to use 信じ申し上げる.

As for two-kanji versions, I hear both 信頼される and 信頼なさる evenly. The humble version 信頼いたす is common this time.

• It is for the sake of completeness, I am creating an app for conjugation of japanese verbs – Koden Oct 16 '16 at 0:29
  • That's a very difficult job, you won't be able to avoid some unpractical combinations. – user4092 Oct 16 '16 at 6:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.