I see 部 with nouns in hashtags on Instagram (like #ねこ部), but I can only find dictionary definitions online. I'm also unsure of the correct reading of the kanji, so any help would be appreciated.

I am not familiar with hashtags trends and what not, but it might mean they are cat lovers.

部 is usually read as ぶ and usually means department, group, division, club. Although usually used in company jargon, this time it seems to be used to indicate that that person is in the cat group/club... maybe

The 「猫部」 translation seems to be correct: nekobu.com – GoBusto Oct 14 '16 at 7:56
    You are right. you read 部 as ぶ in this case. And 部 is often used in clubs in Japanese school like サッカー部(Succer club)、野球部(Baseball club). Obviously, ねこ部 means Cat club. It sounds like a club for cat lovers. – Takashi Oct 15 '16 at 10:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.