Onegaishimasu is used by Japanese people a lot. What does it mean, in what context is it used, and how do I respond to this?

I found on the web that it means:

Please take care of me.

I am in your care.

Do me this favor.

You can think of it as the word ¨please¨ in English. If someone says おねがいしますね to you, they are always asking you to do something or expect something from you.

For example if a friend tells me that she likes chocolates and I say, I will buy for you. Then she might say, お願いします。 meaning, ¨please do¨, or ¨that would be great¨.

If you want to imply that the other person should actually do something because it's important, you can use おねがいしますよ which is a bit stronger.
For example I can ask my brother to pick up my kids from school tomorrow and I can at the end of the sentence say おねがいしますよ as a way to emphasise that he shouldn't forget this. I think this is the example of what you posted in your question ¨Please take care of me.¨

You can respond to the おねがいします as どうぞ ¨here you go¨ when they are asking you for something, or you can answer はい、わかりました ”understood” when it's an important request that you will do later.

Hope this helps.

• Nice explanation.. ありがとうございます!!! – Nishantha Jan 27 '17 at 9:51

If you translate literally, onegai means request, shimasu means to do(polite). So it's basically a polite way to make a request.
As you said, it is used a lot and in many context.

I could make a list of way to use it, but it would be quite a long one.

those 2 might be more adequate for the expression "yoroshiku onegaishimasu".

Please take care of me.
I am in your care.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.