I am trying to check my understanding about ことになる, so I came up with a sentence:

日本語を勉強することが好きなことになった

The meaning I intended is "I came to enjoy studying japanese".

Does the sentence mean this ? And is it grammatically correct ?

• It looked like こになる was a typo, so I changed it to match the example (こになる). – snailcar Oct 12 '16 at 17:52

It is grammatically correct, but it means "Studying Japanese became my favourite thing (to do)".

If you want to say "I came to enjoy studying Japanese", you can leave out the 〜なこと and say

日本語を勉強することが好きになってきた。

• I understand the reason for the meaning "became my favourite thing to do". But wouldn´t the phrase be ambiguous, rather than have only one possible meaning ? Also, Tae Kim says that になる can only be used with a verb-sentence if one uses こと – Vitor Arruda Oct 14 '16 at 15:15
  • Sorry, sent the comment by mistake before finishing it: @istrasci, Tae Kim guide says になる can be used with verbs only if you use こと or よう, like I tried to do... Am I understanding something wrong about this ? – Vitor Arruda Oct 14 '16 at 15:17
  • ??? You did not use the form になる with a verb. You used it with 好き. – istrasci Oct 14 '16 at 15:30
  • Hmm... what if the sentence was 日本語を勉強することが好きことになった ? – Vitor Arruda Oct 15 '16 at 17:04
  • That is your original sentence (minus the missing な after 好き), but this also isn't using ~になる with a verb; it boils down to 好きなことになる. I don't think I understand what you're trying to ask concerning ~になる with verbs. Maybe you should make a new topic. – istrasci Oct 16 '16 at 0:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.