This question already has an answer here:

I would like to know what the difference is between the two spellings of the long o (ō), in hiragana, namely おう (ou) and おお (oo). Are these pronounced the same?

If so, then why does Japanese have these two different spellings for the same long o vowel?

Also, when transcribing from a textbook that uses romaji to teach Japanese, and entering the characters at the keyboard, is there a set criterion for curbing which combination I should be using (and dots it matter)?

Thanks.

marked as duplicate by naruto, Chocolate, istrasci, Earthliŋ Oct 12 '16 at 15:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

According to the wikipedia page, the difference is due to historical reasons.

お段の仮名の長音の場合には、おのかわりにうを添える
例:こうしん(コーシン/更新)

お段の仮名でも、後続する音が歴史的仮名遣いで「ほ」または「を」であった場合には、「お」を添える
例:おおきい(大きい)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%95%B7%E9%9F%B3

Words that were originally written with を or ほ are now written with お.
Example: おおきい (大きい)

All other words are now written with う
Example: こうしん (更新)

• You haven't answered whether the is the same (long o), our whether a diphthong pronunciation (consisting of two vowels is also possible, as :/ the Chinese 口 (kou))? Thanks. – Jack Maddington Oct 12 '16 at 14:59
    I am not sure about the pronunciation. I think it is the same, but I have heard people saying O-o-sa-ka, for example. – hisao m Oct 12 '16 at 15:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.