I have a wallet that is made of a paper-like material, so I am unsure how long it will last. One other thing I am unsure about, is how to say that sentence in Japanese.

My first guess would be using 持つ.

このお財布{さいふ}はどれくらい持{も}ちますか分{わ}からないです。

And if 持つ is the correct verb for the sentence, can it be used with other objects, for example a poorly made hammer that might break or fall apart?

このお財布はどれくらい持ちますか分からないです。 <- 「このお財布はどれくらい持つか分かりません(or分からないです)。」You'd (usually) use the plain form in embedded clauses. – Chocolate Oct 12 '16 at 2:23

I'd use 持つ as well!

I usually see it used with food (has obvious expiration date):

牛乳って、美味しいけどあまり持たないよね。
Milk is good, but it doesn't last long.

But can be used with other stuff:

あの服屋の服って、おしゃれだけどワンシーズンしか持たないよね。
That clothing store is nice, but their stuff only lasts a season.

• (ちょっと変えすぎたかも・・。マズかったらrollbackしてください・・) – Chocolate Oct 12 '16 at 2:14
  • @chocolate いいですよw、あまり気にしないタイプですw – ishikun Oct 12 '16 at 16:47

Yes, 持つ would be used for hammers, but I couldn't find a usage sample on the Net because (I think) even a poorly made hammer doesn't usually break so soon.

... 格安自転車は2ヶ月持つかもしれませんが2年持たないかも知れません。 .... そういう事がなければ2ヶ月では壊れないですよ。

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q14141041859

「保つ」は、「その状態、レベルなどを、内部的に守っていく」意。望ましい状態にいうことが多い。

「持つ」にも、「長くそのままの状態を保(たも)ち続ける」という意味がありますので、どちらでもいいのですが、漢字の持つニュアンスでは「保つ」が近いとは思います。

ただし、「保つ」は、「常用漢字表」の音訓欄では「ホ、たもつ」しか掲げられていませんので、常用漢字表に従って忠実に表記すれば、「持つ」になります。 「保つ」を「もつ」という読み方は、「表外音訓」と呼ばれます。(表外音訓:常用漢字表で認められていない音訓)

If you happen to be talking about food/drink, you can use [賞味期限]{しょう・み・き・げん}, meaning "expiration date" or "best before date".

For certain other expirable things (reward points, coupons, frequent-flier miles, etc.), you can say [有効期間]{ゆう・こう・き・かん} (or 期限) as "valid through" or "period of validity".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.