Can someone please give a simple example of a direct object acting as the topic of a sentence?

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's a "homework" question. – istrasci Oct 11 '16 at 20:47
  • Voting to close a question you suspect to be homework isn't the StackExchange way. See meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/334822/… for more info. – lfalin Oct 11 '16 at 22:26
    「宿題自分でやりなさい!」とか・・ – Chocolate Oct 12 '16 at 2:29
    istrasci ... assuming "homework" is unwise! The question was asked by a 67-year-old retired individual, learning on his own! Thank you Ifalin! And thanks to all for answers! – Lou Oct 13 '16 at 12:43

本は持って来ました。
I brought the book.

をば買いました。
I bought the book.

(^^)

(東北で聞いた言い方ですけれども。)

Additional Detail

There is an old combination of using は immediately after を, essentially topicalizing the object phrase. This was more prominent in older times, and it has largely disappeared from modern standard Japanese, persisting mostly in dialect. When I lived in the Tōhoku region (the northeast of Honshū), I would hear this very occasionally -- mostly used by older folk.

The combination of を{o} + は{wa} causes the は{wa} to change to ば{ba}. This is a phenomenon called rendaku, where certain combinations cause voicing of the initial consonant of the second part.

In terms of meaning, をば is used to emphasize the object of the statement.

• 東北ですか?どの辺?私も東北で住んでいますが、この言い方は聞いた事がないですね。 – stack reader Oct 12 '16 at 1:12
  • @stackreader: しばらく前のことですけれども、盛岡市の周辺にある老人ホームに訪問したときでした。喋られた日本語は老人に限ってさまざまな面でテレビで聞かれる「標準語」と違いました。例として、「らりるれろ」の発音さえ違いまして、まさに英語人が「La, Li, Lu, Le, Lo」をいっていたように聞こえました。 – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 12 '16 at 1:17
  • 東北の老人ですか?それは大変ですね。私なら彼らのしゃべり方がまったくわかりません。 – stack reader Oct 12 '16 at 1:22
  • @stackreader: 自分ならその半分しか理解できませんでした。これはもう日本語じゃない、って感じでした。困っちゃったね!(^^) – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 12 '16 at 1:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.