A friend has at home this banner from an old fish shop in Sapporo. I suppose it's a souvenir from Japan. It intrigues me a lot!

What's this の with an upper stroke and the ten-ten? What's the name for the place? Does the following make sense: ⻌の魚? On the bottom left there's a phone number written with kanji?

Maybe this is the result of the (free)style of the calligrapher or the の with the stroke and ten-ten is to resemble a fish?

本の魚

• This is a complete guess, but I might say しじの, where the stroke+ten ten above the の is a stylistic/sideways hiragana voiced くりかえし mark (ゞ). Thus, the じ after a し. No basis for this really though. – istrasci Oct 10 '16 at 23:10
    If it is a hentaigana then the の with a 点 and the 濁点 should read が but I have no clue for the first. – 永劫回帰 Oct 10 '16 at 23:34

I think it's read right-to-left as 魚{うお}がし 'fish market'. The kana が and し are written as hentaigana, variant forms of kana that are usually no longer used.

This is が:

hentaigana が

This is し:

hentaigana し

(Images taken from benricho.org)

• 皆さん、ありがとう! I've learned lots with istrasci-san guess and snailplane-san answer which I presume it's correct. :) – Jason Lint Oct 17 '16 at 19:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.