I want to say

He went to bed without taking a shower, brushing his teeth, removing his contact lenses.

Do I have to repeat the negation for every verb as follows?

彼は、シャワーを浴びず、歯を磨かず、コンタクトレンズを外さず、寝てしまった。

• Is it not: "... without taking a shower, brushing his teeth, removing his contact lenses". (I am just asking because I find it weird and since I do not speak English that well I would be please to have a confirmation) – 永劫回帰 Oct 9 '16 at 21:12

He went to sleep without showering or taking off his glasses.
  グーグル翻訳→  彼はシャワーや彼の眼鏡を離陸せずに寝てしまいました。※
  ニンゲン添削→  彼はシャワーも眼‌​鏡を外す事もせずに寝てしまいました。

△ 彼は、シャワーも、歯磨きも、コンタクトレンズを外す事もせずに寝てしまった。

△ 彼は、シャワーも、歯磨きも、コンタクトレンズを外す事さえもせずに寝てしまった。

○ 彼は、シャワーも歯磨きもせず、コンタクトレンズも外さずに寝てしまった。

○ 彼は、シャワーも歯磨きもせず、コンタクトレンズも付けたまま寝てしまった。
○ 彼は、シャワーも歯磨きもせず、コンタクトレンズも付けたままで寝てしまった。

※ プロ翻訳者からの「グーグル翻訳」の講評:  「離陸せずに」 を見て微笑んでしまうが、「寝てしまいました。」 の正確さ、完璧さがどこから来るのが分からず(ブラックボックス、アルファ碁)、正直言って恐怖を感じる。

| improve this answer | |
  • could you say it using て、くて、で, etc? Like a compound sentence – Felipe Oliveira Oct 10 '16 at 1:51
  • シャワーも歯磨きもしないで、コンタクトレンズをして寝てしまった。 This may be shorter and better all around. – HizHa Oct 10 '16 at 3:33
    I upvoted, but you can't necessarily make yourself understood with symbols like ○ △ without notation. – user4092 Oct 10 '16 at 4:39
  • @user4092: We more-or-less have a convention to use on this site. This answer corresponds with that convention (whether intentional or not). See Should we have a standard notation for example sentences? on meta. – istrasci Oct 10 '16 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.