Related: What is the meaning of 「読むには読んだ」?
Related: には with plain form of verb

dictionary.goo.ne.jp 「には」
3. (多く「…には…が」の形で、動詞や形容詞を繰り返して)一応その動作や状態は認めるが、それに関連して起こる動作や状態については関知したり容認したりしない意を表す。 「推薦状は、書く―書くが、あまり期待しないでくれ」 「涼しい―涼しいが、ちょっと冷えすぎる」

1. [dictionary.goo.ne.jp] doen't have a similar entry for 「のは」 -- Does this mean that 「には」 is more "canonical" ?

2. Are they related (one deriving from the other) ?

3. 「涼しいのは涼しい」 vs. 「涼しいには涼しい」 -- I think the former is more common (tentatively confirmed by Google hit numbers). Is there a difference in meaning? What's the rule for choosing one over the other? ( 「のは」 vs. 「には」 )

thesaurus.weblio.jp 「あるにはある」 == 物事の有無について、ないことを否定する表現

(Syn.) : 無くはない ・ ないとは言えない ・ 無いわけではない ・ ないと言えば嘘になる ・ あるにはある ・ 有るか無いかと問われればある

追加: あると言えばある(んだが)、 嬉しいと言えば嬉しい(んだが)、・・・ 

いわゆる、「奥歯に物が(の)挟まったような言い方」 ですねw

• Probably, verbs go with には and i-adjectives go with のは. – user4092 Oct 8 '16 at 0:44

Google hit counts is extremely unreliable; you have to use a corpus whenever possible. According to BCCWJ,

So XのはX is very rare as long as ある is concerned.

As for other adjectives/verbs, I would say there is very little difference between, for example, 遠いには遠いが~, 遠いことは遠いが~ and 遠いのは遠いが~. (遠いといえば遠いが~ is different) But probably 遠いには遠いが sounds a bit more formal and/or literary.

Etymologically, I guess XのはX is more closely related to XことはX because they are both known as the nominalizers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.