For some reason I cannot seem to internalize は no matter what I do.
I received a great explanation 4-5 days ago on this site but I don't know why I can't internalize it no matter what.
While reading today I found と言えば and a question came into my mind.
If I used と言えば would the sentence change in meaning?

Example:

あいつは 相手が強ければ強いほど 負けまいとして
その強さに夢中で対応してきた

は somehow throws me off.

If I said:

あいつと言えば 相手が強ければ強いほど 負けまいとして
その強さに夢中で対応してきた

Would the meaning change?
Could I just use と言えば in my mind until は becomes natural or that would be a big mistake?

What is it that confuses you? – ishikun Oct 6 '16 at 17:07
  • I am not sure to be honest. I "feel" it more natural if I use と言えば to specify the topic instead of は and I was asking if there is any difference at all or it would be ok if I kept using と言えば in my mind whenever I find は until it gets more natural to me. – Splikie Oct 6 '16 at 17:09
  • I totally get that.. out of curiousity, how would you translate the sentence into English?? Maybe that would help in ironing it out – ishikun Oct 6 '16 at 17:12
  • I am not sure how would I translate it literally since I kind of understand it how it is, but I would say something like:"The stronger the enemy the more he does not want to lose. That strenght is now backfiring at him". Is this correct? – Splikie Oct 6 '16 at 17:16
  • Combination of any pronouns and …といえば may be pointless a little bit because it's like "Oh yeah it's xxx, when I hear that name, blah blah ...". What you really wanted could be (あいつ)と来たら… or something. – user4092 Oct 6 '16 at 23:52

If it helps you in understanding it then by all means! I usually think of は as "IS" in English but I can see why it can be confusing as a topic marker. For me, と言えば has the feeling of "speaking of someone, he is blah blah", but I don't think it really changes the meaning though.

This link also explains は as "As for subject", maybe that helps? Under that assumption then it is similar to と言えば.

• と言えば has the feeling of "speaking of"; Tht is exactly how it feels to me too, but は does not. Maybe is because most of the times I find it "as a subject" and now it's hard to see it differently. Could you tell me more about how you se it as "IS"? – Splikie Oct 6 '16 at 17:14
  • Let's talk in chat?? I don't really know how to explain it with references lol – ishikun Oct 6 '16 at 17:17
  • Ok, how do we do that? – Splikie Oct 6 '16 at 17:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.