What does って mean in this sentence?

世の中には、頑張っても無駄な人っていますか。

• I deleted my answer, yeah what i'm telling you here it's a "guess" so let's wait for someone else. But usually って+verb comes in the form of quotation, so if your sentence ended up with ってい+(said, think) I would guess って is quotating as in 彼は「僕は大丈夫」って言った. But with います i'm not sure – Felipe Oliveira Oct 4 '16 at 21:57

It means は or it can mean というものは.

• What changes when using って instead of は? I heard it changes the tone of the sentence, is this colloquial speech? – Felipe Oliveira Oct 4 '16 at 22:14

It signifies that you are referring to a class of things, or type of things rather than a specific thing.

E.g. consider マグカップ高い. When changed to マグカップって高い, it claims mugs in general are expensive. The longer form is マグカップっていうものは高い, although this sounds a bit too fancy when talking about mugs. For a more "profound" subject like 母っていうものはそういうもんだ, it sounds natural to use the longer form.

It means "is". informal term for a "は".
Example:

• それって高くない? - Isn't it expensive?
  • 彼ってかっこいいよね。 - Is he cool.

That usage of って is a very colloquial way of speaking and would not be seen in written Japanese.

I only speak from personal experience but. It sort of group everything i just said until now into a noun, then ask something about it.

As mentioned before it could be replaced by は or というもの or even ということ but it somehow feels a little bit stronger than that to me. Like in the usage of と to group everything before it in some sort of "speech brackets" but instead used for some kind of invisible "target of a question brackets".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.