I was under the impression that the word 翻る(ひるがえる)is an intransitive verb (which is also how it appears to be defined in dictionaries), but I've come across a use of it that appears to be transitive, in the phrase "今世紀に入ってからの歴史を翻っても…".

My question is, how should the word be interpreted in this context?

What comes after? If the 翻る is the verb that catches the previous phrase, I must say it's misuse. – broccoli forest Oct 4 '16 at 12:23
  • What follows is an independent clause, so the predicate to this phrase is 翻る. If the word has been used incorrectly, perhaps the author might have meant something like 振り返る? – Koxinga Oct 4 '16 at 12:43
  • Yes, that's what I suspect. Or perhaps the author has mixed it up with 繙く【ひもとく】. – broccoli forest Oct 4 '16 at 12:49

I feel 翻る here is used as a motion verb, which often takes を even though it's intransitive. Perhaps the author intended to mean "go over / go through (a document, etc) again" by saying 翻る. I wouldn't say it's a common usage, but I wouldn't call it a definitive mistake, either.

As you can see in these examples, 翻って考える is a common idiom that literally means "turn back and think over again", and 翻って on its own can mean the same thing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.