I've observed native speakers use this construction (similarly with 好き).

Does this mean that なる can be used transitively and take a direct object in some cases? Is this related to the idea that something becomes liked or disliked as an involuntary action (and thus "嫌いにする" wouldn't fit)?

It's not なる but 嫌い that is "taking the direct object" (?) in this sentence. AFAIK なる itself is always intransitive.

嫌い is a common na-adjective which means "dislike" in the form of X嫌いだ. See: Using 嫌い and 嫌う and 私は猫が好き and 猫は私が好き

"na-adjective + になる" is a common way to say "become ~".

• 元気になる become healthy, recover
  • きれいになる become beautiful

So X嫌いになる means "to come to dislike X (over time)".

Moreover, X嫌いになる means almost the same thing as X嫌いになる. This phenomenon has been asked about several times on this site, so please read the followings:

• Thanks. I searched around and read the linked questions, one of which referenced "Xを嫌いになった", but didn't find anything conclusive. Can we consider "嫌い" in this case to be more of a nominalized form of "嫌う" than the typical na-adjective? – CAW Oct 2 '16 at 18:18
  • You mean "nominalized" in this sense? Hmm, 嫌い as in ネコ嫌【ぎら】い and 好き as in 魚好【ず】き are almost like nouns to me, but as for Xを嫌いになる or Xが嫌いです, I kind of "feel" these 嫌い are adjectives... This is definitely nonstandard, but some people confuse it with an i-adjective and even say 好きくなる/好きくない. – naruto Oct 2 '16 at 18:31
  • That's what I was getting at. I guess I'm searching for a transitive verb in the sentence so that I can understand the use of を in terms of a transitive verb and a direct object. Maybe it's a mistake to try and analyze it in this way, and I should just accept this as a special case. – CAW Oct 3 '16 at 2:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.