Is the で after おかげ a て-form or the context particle?

友達のおかげで、映画はただで見られた。

友達のおかげ、映画はただで見られた。

It's the case particle で. It's not the te-form of a verb because おかげ is not a verb but a noun: the polite prefix お + a noun 陰. The で is not the 連用形(continuative form) of the assertive auxiliary だ either, because your sentence is not two sentences 「友達のおかげだった。そして映画はただで見られた。」

「映画をタダで見られたのは友達のおかげで 、ご飯をタダで食べられたのは先輩のおかげだ。」とか言ったら、「おかげで」の「で」は断定の助動詞「だ」の連用形「で」になりますね・・ – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 6:53
  • i'm still a newbie, so this will be hard. 1.You said that "今日は土曜で、田中は学校がある。"(I hate the name Hugh) consists of 2 sentences because each phrases has a subject/topic. While in "友達のおかげで、映画はただで見られた" is a single sentence. But the subject/topic can be the same and thus be omitted right? Just like how "I am A,(I am)B,and(I am)C. 3 sentences! (映画は)友達のおかげで、(映画は)ただで見られた。I could not differentiate if the で is the continuative form or the context/case particle in sentences like this and I want to know how! 2.It's really possible to have 2 or more context/case particles in a sentence??! ただで and 友達のおかげで? – Dekiru Oct 2 '16 at 11:16
  • 3.Is it possible to construct a compound sentence with both verbs and state of beings in Japanese, like : I am a student and I study everyday (私は学生で(でして)、毎日勉強している。)??! – Dekiru Oct 2 '16 at 11:21
    1. Your original sentence cannot be rephrased as「映画は友達のおかげで、映画はタダで見られた」, because you don't say 映画は友達のおかげだ. You can say 映画を見られたのは友達のおかげだ but 映画は友達ののおかげだ sounds strange. In your sentence, 友達のおかげで(Thanks to a friend) adverbially modifies タダで見られた, and it can be rephrased 映画は、友達のおかげでタダで見られた, where 友達のおかげで adverbially modifies 見られた. To differentiate, you should split the sentence using だ or であり, and check if it's correct and makes sense. 2. I don't see why not. eg 「自分の部屋で一人で寝る。」「まな板の上で包丁でニンニクをたたきつぶす」 – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 13:18
    3. Yes, 「私は学生で、毎日勉強している。」 sounds good to me. (You could also say politely/formally: 「私は学生で(して)、毎日勉強しています。/しております。」. 「でして」「~おります」 would sound more formal.) – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 13:24

友達の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

The meaning is : "Thanks to my friend(s), . . . "

のおかげで by grace of, by virtue of, It's thanks to, owing to

Literaly : (Because of) being owing to my friend(s), . . . ( literal tr. is esp. hard because of おかげ )

Here, のおかげで is a Te-form of のおかげだ --- Same as the example (6) below : "Today being Saturday, . . . "

See: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/38582/16344

(5) a.  公園でポピーに会って, ヒューはとても喜んだ。 
    b.  [Bumping into] Poppy in the park, [Hugh] was very pleased.
          Having bumped into ... , 

(6) a.  今日は土曜日で, ヒューは学校がある。 
    b.  Today being Saturday, [Hugh] has school.

(7) a.  正直に言って, クーは太りすぎだ。 
    b.  Honestly speaking, Koo is overweight.

Is the で after おかげ a て-form or the context particle?

Wow! i had no idea that this is such a hard question. I believe that in some fundamental sense, there is no difference between the two for おかげで

Several Web sites seem to classify おかげで as [て形], but maybe if i check closely, they may contain restrictions or limitations.

• 友達の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。
  • タダ券の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

• 今日が土曜日なのと タダ券の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

• 友達のタダ券の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

• 友達がくれたタダ券の おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。
  • 友達がタダ券をくれた おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。
  • 友達がタダ券を送ってくれた おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。
  • 今日は土曜日で 友達がタダ券を送ってくれた おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

• 今日が土曜日なのと 友達がタダ券を送ってくれた おかげ で、映画はただで見られた。

The で in (6)今日は土曜日 、ヒューは学校がある is not the te-form of a verb, cos 土曜日 is not a verb. It's the 連用形(continuative form) of the 断定の助動詞(assertive auxiliary) だ, cos the sentence is 「今日は土曜日だ。だから、ヒューは学校がある。 」←今日は土曜日で(だ) is a complete sentence, cos it has a subject 今日は. So the で cannot be the case particle で. – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 5:59
  • You should parse them as「{今日が土曜日なのとタダ券}のおかげで」(noun+の+nounおかげ+case particleで) ・「{友達がタダ券をくれた}おかげで」(relative clause+nounおかげ+case particleで)・「{(友達がくれた)タダ券}の おかげで」(relative clause+noun+の+おかげ+で), etc... then you'll see the で is a case particle. None of them is a complete sentence. Are you insisting that 「noun+で」 is a te-form? Is that what's usually taught to Japanese learners? – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 6:07
  • I mean, do they teach 断定の助動詞『だ』の連用形『で』 as a kind of て形 to people learning Japanese as a foreign language? – Chocolate Oct 2 '16 at 6:25
    「今日は土曜で明日は日曜だ」の「で」は、 "te-form of the copula" と説明されているのを見たことがあります。 japaneseprofessor.com/reference/grammar/… もちろん「友達のおかげで」の「で」は別物です。(どちらも名詞の直後に来るという意味では似て見えますが) – naruto Oct 2 '16 at 6:39
    流石に「海で泳ぐ」とか「包丁で野菜を切る」の「で」をテ形と呼ぶ人はいないと思います…たぶん – naruto Oct 2 '16 at 7:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.