Here is the excerpt,

学校というのは、とにかく「みんな仲良く」で、「いつも心が触れ合って、みんなで一つだ」という、まさにここで私は「幻想」という言葉を使ってみたいのですが、「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします

Here is my try at it,

学校というのは、とにかく「みんな仲良く」で、「いつも心が触れ合って、みんなで一つだ」という、

It is said that school is a place where "everyone are getting along with each other, mutual touching and together as one". (Assumption: I've never heard this song)

まさにここで私は「幻想」という言葉を使ってみたいのですが

I want to try to use the word "idealised image" right here,

「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします

I feel like it was emphasized by thing called "a fantasy friend" that was symbolized by a song, "become first grader"

I am not quite sure of the last part. Also from where should I start to translate? From the last word? And I'm confused about two ような and 受け身 here.

The basic structure:

学校というのは、 (very long modifier here) 場所のような気がします。
I feel that school is (such-and-such) a place.

場所 is modified by a relative clause, 「友達幻想」というものが強調される:

学校というのは、「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします。
I feel that school is a place where something called "friend fantasy" is emphasized.

友達幻想 is further modified by 「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような:

学校というのは、「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします。
I feel that school is a place where something called "friend fantasy", as symbolized by a song named "When I Have Become a First Grader", is emphasized.

The song 「一年生になったら」 is further modified by とにかく「みんな仲良く」で「いつも心が触れ合って、みんなで一つだ」という:

学校というのは、とにかく「みんな仲良く」で、「いつも心が触れ合って、みんなで一つだ」という、「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします。
I feel that school is a place where something called "friend fantasy", as symbolized by a song named "When I Have Become a First Grader", which says "Everyone should get along, touching one another's heart, together as one", is emphasized.

Finally, まさにここで私は「幻想」という言葉を使ってみたいのですが is a parenthetical phrase that introduces an aside information (perhaps this could be the most tricky part in this sentence):

学校というのは、とにかく「みんな仲良く」で、「いつも心が触れ合って、みんなで一つだ」という、まさにここで私は「幻想」という言葉を使ってみたいのですが、「一年生になったら」という歌に象徴されるような「友達幻想」というものが強調される場所のような気がします。
I feel that school is a place where something called "friend fantasy" (yes I want to use the word "fantasy" here), as symbolized by a song named "When I Have Become a First Grader", which says "Everyone should get along, touching one another's heart, together as one", is emphasized.

• Ah thankyou so muchhh!! Thank you for trying your best to make me understood this sentence!! I think i will use your method every time i'm confuse too!!! And maybe i should link the first and last words to grasp the basic structure(?) ->学校というのは~~~~気がします and i think its better to translate from the last sentence(?) – Devina Muljono Oct 1 '16 at 13:21
  • Yes, a subject and a predicate can be insanely far away from each other in Japanese... – naruto Oct 1 '16 at 13:41
  • 細かいですが、「とにかく~という」が修飾してるのは「一年生になったら」ではなく「友達幻想」の方だと思います。事実その歌にはそういうくだりはないです。 – broccoli forest Oct 4 '16 at 12:18
  • @broccoliforest ですよねー…(「~という友達幻想」ってどう訳すんでしょう…) – naruto Oct 4 '16 at 13:19
  • @naruto 英語だと引用文のままだと置き所に困りますよね…^^; "or what they say --" みたいな感じでしょうか? – broccoli forest Oct 4 '16 at 14:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.