In [どうしたの?] the の is seeking explanation right?

What's the diffence between [どうしたの?] and [どうしたのか?] ?

both are casual speaking but is the first one more feminine?

I know the formal one would be [どうしたのですか?]

Thank you :)

• [どうしたんですか] is more natural. – Takahiro Waki Oct 1 '16 at 2:32
  • I hear a lot in animes [どうしていたの?] , but I have lately noticed it more on the female characters so I am not sure if adding か, in the end will turn it more male oriented in casual speech. I've heard that in affirmation like [行きたいの!] gives the idea of immaturity and mainly of girly talk if you do not put だ or です at the end. – Felipe Oliveira Oct 1 '16 at 2:37
  • Yes, どうしたの is feminine word. – Takahiro Waki Oct 1 '16 at 3:17
  • @TakahiroWaki Are you from western Japan, if not a foreigner? – user4092 Oct 2 '16 at 3:15
    I'm sorry. I believed it was rare for people around there to sense that it's particularly a feminine expression. I've just learned something new. – user4092 Oct 2 '16 at 14:20

どうしたの? is often considered feminine, but many guys use it, too (though it might depend on the region).

You don't really say どうしたのか? to mean "What's wrong?" in conversation.*
You'd rather say どうしたんだ? or just どうした? to sound masculine.

You'd use ~のか? in yes-no questions, as in:

• どうしたんだ?お[腹]{なか}が[痛]{いた}いのか
    What's wrong? Do you have a stomachache?
  • [何]{なに}してるんだ?[勉強]{べんきょう}してるのか
    What are you doing? Are you studying?
  • どこに[行]{い}ってたんだ?[学校]{がっこう}には行ったのか
    Where have you been? Did you go to school?

The examples above would sound pretty masculine. To sound feminine, you could say like 「どうしたの?お腹が痛いの?」「何してるの?勉強してるの?」「どこに行ってたの?学校には行ったの?」

And yes, its polite/formal version is どうしたのですか?
In speech, it's usually pronounced どうしたですか?

*You might see 「何/どう/どこ etc + のか?/のだろうか?のであろうか?etc」 in formal but not polite writing. You'd also see 「何/どう/どこ etc + か」 in subordinate clauses, eg 「何をしているのか、わからない。」

• ohh thank you, clears it up everything! i didn't know you could use だ in a question, but since it is casual speech it doesn't matter right? using だ for a question is acceptable only on conversations or in a more casual writing too? – Felipe Oliveira Oct 10 '16 at 0:18
  • Actually, in formal but not polite writing (e.g. essay, novel, academic paper), you'd see 「何/どう/どこ etc + の ?/のだろう ?/のであろう ?etc」 rather than 「何/どう/どこ etc + だ?」. I'm not sure if this applies to all cases but I have a feeling that 「何/どう/どこ etc + の?/ のだ?」 is pretty conversational (You'd use it in casual emails/letters too, of course). – Chocolate Oct 10 '16 at 3:35

According to the "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" page 322:
"の is sentence-final particle used by a female speaker or a child to indicate an explanation or emotive emphasis."

So the の used at the end of the sentence is used for emphasis.

• And does the book say it also applies to interrogative sentences? – Chocolate Oct 8 '16 at 17:26
    yes i have this doubt too, because i'm aware that affirmative sentences ending with の instead of のだ or のです are feminine/childish, but does it applies to interrogative ones? I hear things like [どうしたの?] mainly from girls in anime (but of course i know anime speech is not always what japanese people use daily) – Felipe Oliveira Oct 8 '16 at 23:23
  • Yes, it applies to interrrogative sentences. It even has the sentence どうしたの? as an example. – hisao m Oct 9 '16 at 3:35
  • Sorry, I meant to ask whether the statement "the の used at the end of the sentence is used for emphasis" applies to interrogative sentences. And I doubt it does. I think the の at the end of interrogative sentences indicates explanation, not emphasis. – Chocolate Oct 9 '16 at 5:31

The explanatory [の] particle is usually use in casual speech to make actual question.

In casual speech, The question marker [か] is often used to consider whether something is true or not.

By using [のか], you would be requesting a yes-no-answer along with an explanatory answer afterward.

[か] :

"Is there any problem ?

[の] :

"What is the problem ?"

[のか] :

"Is there any problem ? If yes, then what it is ?"

• oh, that's helpful! Any insight on the feminine/childish tone that ending an interrogative sentence with の only could bring? Thank you! – Felipe Oliveira Oct 8 '16 at 23:24
  • [の] does sound very soft and feminine, but I'm not sure whether [の] is more feminine than [のか]. – Narutokage Oct 9 '16 at 1:07
  • Ending with のですか? would make it more masculine in your opinion? But as a result it would become polite speech right? – Felipe Oliveira Oct 9 '16 at 1:43
    This is a very good answer to your question about the difference between [か] and [のか]: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/18613/… – Narutokage Oct 9 '16 at 3:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.