Sometimes I come across an English phrase that looks a bit odd, and I wonder if it's based on some Japanese phrase unbeknownst to me. Assuming that such a question would make sense, how can I ask an average Japanese-speaker, as opposed to a linguist, about this?

For example, if I came across "a carp laid on a chopping block", or "steel and rice coalition", and there was some reason I suspected it was based on Japanese, how would I ask them about it in Japanese?

• I think it's better to write the question itself in English, if possible, some context where you encountered those phrases. – Rathony Sep 28 '16 at 14:10
  • ことわざ的な?感じですかとか? – ishikun Sep 28 '16 at 17:06
  • 日本語由来の言葉ですか? ("Is the phrase Japanese-origin?")
  • 元は日本語ですか? ("Is the origin Japanese?")
  • 日本語のことわざですか? ("Is that a Japanese proverb?")
  • どこの国の言い方ですか? ("A way of saying of what country is it?")

You can also use 慣用句 (="idiomatic phrase"), but this may sound a bit too stiff in casual conversations.

Another alternative: "その表現、もともと日本語でした?”

• What does this phrase literally mean? – Andrew Grimm Sep 30 '16 at 0:52
    @AndrewGrimm 「その表現(は)」→ "That expression is", 「もともと」→ "originally", 「日本語でした(か)?」→ "Was it Japanese language?" ---> So it literally means: "Was that expression originally Japanese?" – Chocolate Sep 30 '16 at 16:23

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.