I've noticed that in the introduction to a presentation of some sort (whether it be an academic presentation or a YouTube video explaining something), the presenter will often say something along the lines of 「 … したいと思います。」 Why is this? Doesn't this give the message of "I think I want to present this"?

It's just a very common way of saying "I'd like to ..."

An adult saying 「 … したい。」 is pretty uncommon.

See ~したいと思います Does it mean exactly as translated? I think I want to

As far as I understand, using -と思います is a polite and respectful way of expressing your opinion (what you want to do in your example). In other words, if you don't use it, you might sound a little strong and assertive.

For example, if you say

そうだと[思]{おも}います。

It means

I think it could/might be true.

If you say

そうだ

in place of "そうです" or "そうだと[思]{おも}います", you would not sound as polite and respectful.

• 「そうだと思います。」は「ます」があって丁寧形なので、比較するなら「そうだ」のほうも「です」をつけて「そうです。」に揃えた方がいいような気もしますが、どうでしょう・・
    – Chocolate
    Sep 27 '16 at 8:06
  • @chocolate Thank you for your comment. I am not sure if I understood your comment, but I just edited the answer. Please feel free to edit the post if you find any mistake or inappropriate explanation.
    – Rathony
    Sep 27 '16 at 8:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.