I really need help grasping the concept of 'ma' (間).

I know that this is essentially negative space, or the interval in between, the pause, etc. I can see how this might be seen in art, i.e. Miyazaki's films, but was wondering if anyone else can give me a few concrete examples? I need to explain it to a large group of English speakers, and I know they might not grasp it easily. I want to flesh out my understanding of the concept in order to do so.

Thanks for the help!

Brock

間 in Japanese is a fairly mundane word meaning "space", "interval", "pause", "timing", etc., but I doubt any of these concepts are unique to the Japanese language. In what context do you have to explain this word? Why do you think 間 is such a mysterious word? – naruto Sep 26 '16 at 17:47
    To me, 間(ま) as I think it is being (or failing to be) conceived of by OP is one of those slippery and possibly very Japanese notions I'd be hard-put to explain in any adequate manner. (All I can bring myself to say is that 間(ま) in this sense is a kind of device that can be used to or for some effect.) People use the term in commentaries on a variety of things, from oration, music, sports, martial arts, performance and visual arts to literature and manga and anime, probably with slightly different shades of meaning in different contexts. – goldbrick Sep 26 '16 at 21:44
    Here are a brief account, blog post and study on it (all in Japanese though). – goldbrick Sep 26 '16 at 21:45
    This question is interesting but not really about language. As Naruto says, the word itself just means "space" or "gap." The rest is cultural overloading. – Matt Sep 27 '16 at 15:33

間 is a word which a native Japanese speaker uses or hears almost every day. Usually it just means "time", "interval", "space", "room", etc. For example:

• 締め切りまでがある。 There is some more time left till the deadline.
  • もなく東京です。 Arriving at Tokyo Station soon (lit. "in no time")
  • 行と行のをあける to leave spaces between lines, to double-space

Unsurprisingly, such a basic word has dozens of idiomatic expressions which might make little sense if you translated it too literally:

• 間が悪い (lit. "time is bad") to be done at the wrong time
  • 間に合う (lit. "match the time") to make something on time
  • 間男 (lit. "in-between man") paramour, secret (male) lover

But these may not be of particular interest to native English speakers who don't want to learn Japanese.

So 間 is not really a cool or special word to native Japanese speakers. I'm sometimes surprised to see mundane Japanese words are introduced to foreign countries as something mysterious and cool. For example, see: What is the exact meaning of "kaizen"?

That said, I am vaguely aware that some people have found the concept of 間 as unique to Japan. I found this long article in English: MA: Place, Space, Void. The article also explains how 間 is important in certain fields of Japanese art. Honestly speaking, I'm not totally convinced that 間 is such a difficult word, but I think the linked article covers almost everything that you might need.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.