I have exhausted google and my many dictionaries. I put "host" or "to host" and don't get the word I'm looking for. The sentence I am trying to say is "are you hosting a new exchange student" and I have no idea where to find the correct terminology. Does anyone know the correct way to approach this. I maybe oversimplifying my search because there may not be an exact word translation. Anyone know how to approach this sentence. This was the closest I found: 受皿となる

• 新しい留学生を泊めていますか? – oldergod Sep 23 '16 at 1:17
    I would say 新しい留学生を受け入れていますか? – Chocolate Sep 23 '16 at 1:18

Unfortunately there is no easy translation of "to host". Depending on the object, you have to choose an appropriate verb.

• to host a conference/formal party: ~を主催する, ~を開催する
  • to host a casual party: ~をやる, ~を開く
  • to host someone (as a host family): ~を(ホストファミリーとして)受け入れる
  • to host someone (as a VIP), to entertain: ~をもてなす
  • to host a ceremony/TV progam: ~の司会をする
  • to host a website/software: ~をホストする

Actually, ~をホストする may be used by some people who are relatively good at English in any of the contexts above, but I'm reluctant to introduce it as the first-choice.

受け皿となる tends to be used with refugees, disaster victims and such, and it doesn't sound like you host someone actively and willingly.

A big reason why the following (trans.google) result doesn't sound good is because the question ( "Are you hosting a new exchange student?" ) is usually asking about immediate future plans.

"Are you hosting a new exchange student?"

(trans.google) 「あなたは、新しい交換留学生をホストしていますか?」 <-- This doesn't sound good. But actually, this is a correct, valid translation ...

... because ホストする is used :

• どうしてホストファミリーになるのか - ホームステイ 締切済 | 教えて!goo oshiete.goo.ne.jp › 学問・教育 › 留学 › ホームステイ
    私は留学生をホストするのは、それだけ魅力的なことだと思いますよ。

• detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp › 暮らしと生活ガイド › 2012/02/07 - 日本語を話せない留学生を2週間ホストする場合、

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=host+student

host a foreign student === ホームステイの外国人学生を受け入れる

お帰りなさい! ......... 高校留学・10代留学の ...

www.afs.or.jp › イベント&ニュース

帰ってくると、ホストファミリーが家にAFSのスタッフや新しい交換留学生を招待し、とても温かい「お帰りなさいパーティー」を開いてくれました。 今回、実に一年半ぶりに帰ったわけですが、私はまだ交換留学生であるかのような感じがしました。 みなさんがいつもの ...

William Colenso Collegeが新しい交換留学生を迎えました!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.