http://ameblo.jp/uncle-joke-joke/entry-11613818795.html <-- This is a page making fun of "This is a pen." and "I am a boy."

These sentences have achieved legendary status. For example, see :

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13142319713 -- アニメ クレヨンしんちゃんで、風間くんが 「I am a boy. This is a pen.」 と繰り返し言っている回はなんと言う題名ですか?

riki-english.hatenablog.com/entry/2015/12/01/222707 -- 2015/12/01 - その昔、中学校に入ったばかりの1年生は、 I am a boy. とか、 This is a pen. とかいったような、いささかシュールなセンテンスから英語の勉強を始めたものでした。 今はもうこのような英文が授業で扱われることはまずありません。

w w w

My question is : what are the equivalent sentences for Jp learners ?

( It's so common that most beginners encounter them, and/or the sentences seem so useless that it's funny. )

「これは鉛筆です」 is the first sentence I ever learned. – snailboat Sep 21 '16 at 4:53
  • for the longest time I thought it funny as well, until recently it struck me. If you know nothing of a language that is gramatically structured different, what better sentence than "this is a pen" SVO, no filler, no bending of the rules, just pure, right to the point SVO. – Mark Sep 21 '16 at 6:02
    @Mark Not to nitpick, but "This is a pen" is not a SVO sentence. It's a SVC sentence. It doesn't have any objects, but has a subject complement. – marasai Sep 21 '16 at 8:45
  • @marasai yeah, though it sure looks like an object when you see one ;) – Mark Sep 21 '16 at 23:44

The following may be one:

わたし は げんき です。

Or perhaps the whole phrase:

はじめまして。わたしはnameです。どうぞよろしくおねがいします。

Maybe its just me, but every Japanese class I've ever taken always had "お名前は(insert name)です。” within the first week.

名前は(name)です」 for introducing yourself? – Chocolate Sep 21 '16 at 7:48
  • Actually, more like お名前は何ですか。Followed by お名前は(name)です。 Though I've always been told its more natural to respond with something like (name)です。 or formally (name)と呼んでいます。Does that help? – Joe32 Sep 23 '16 at 19:17
  • う~ん・・ちょっとわかんないんですけど。。自分の名前を聞かれたときの話ですよね? I recommend using 「名前はXXです。"My name is XX."」(with no honorific prefix お) or「XXと呼ばれています。"I am called XX."」(using the passive form 呼ばれる) when replying to お名前は何ですか?"What is your name?" – Chocolate Sep 23 '16 at 23:36

The first things I ever learned (to speak), on the first day, were:

おはよう・おはようございます

A: すみません。
B: いいえ。

A: 分かりますか?
B: ええ、分かります。

This was a number of years ago, so I'm only really sure about the above; but based on my old textbooks, I think I also learned the below:

The first week I think I learned other things like 違います and します and 今日, 明日 and ね and よ.

Basically, I first learned affirming and negating (はい、いや等), a couple ritual expressions (おはよう), distal style verbal conjugation, sentence particles, and a couple other words I didn't quite understand at the time but soon learned were nominals.

I don't think I learned 私 for a couple weeks (probably around the time I learned about how to form nominal predicates).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.