Title says it all. I am looking for sentence structures that can convey this meaning.

"You can do this" in the sense of giving permission? – Chocolate Sep 18 '16 at 14:46
  • @chocolate Yes I meant by giving permission – PatientZero Sep 19 '16 at 0:33
    How is this not a duplicate of another question? – istrasci Sep 22 '16 at 19:11

To say "you can/may ____" or "it's okay to ____", use this structure:

[verb, te-form] + も (optional) + いい

This can also be used with negatives to say "it's okay not to ____"

Positive Example: 「入っていいですよ」 (inviting someone to come into your house/room)

Positive Example (casual): 「入っていいよ」

Negative Example: 「心配しなくていいですよ」 "It's okay"/"Don't worry (about it)"; literally "it's okay not to worry"

Negative Example (casual): 「心配しなくていいよ」

Notes:

• も, like a lot of other particles, is usually ommitted when spoken or in chat and included in formal, written communication like e-mail, letters, papers, books, etc.
  • The sentence ending ~よ is often tagged on the end of sentences that use this structure.

It differs depending on the connotation you want to attach to 'able to'

1. Ability : できる or the 可能形 (ability form of verbs)
    For example, 自分で料理できますか?means are you able to do the cooking yourself? ピアノが弾けます (possibility form of 弾く) means I am able to play the piano.

2. Permission : でもいい? or 〜っていいよ
    ちょっとトイレに行ってもいい? Means can I go to the toilet for a bit? This indicates not the ability to go to the toilet but rather the permission to go to the toilet.

3. Possibility : 可能
    Literally the word means possibility, and this refers more to things which are physically possible, or possible within a set of rules. Also is a more formal form of no.1.
    For example, 一年で日本語を学ぶことは可能ですか? means is it possible to learn Japanese in a year.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.