Comparing 「が」 --and-- 「けれども」 including variants ( 「だけど」 「けれど」 「けど」 「けども」 ... )

When i was looking at the usage samples below, i noticed that 「が」 and 「けれども」 both fit ALL the usage samples.

1. Are 「が」 and 「けれども」 always interchangeable grammatically ?

2. What's the etymology of 「が」 ? -- It seems odd that two forms not from the same origin can function in such a similar way. Any explanation for it ?

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/68969/meaning/m0u/

[接助] 活用語の終止形に付く。

(1. but, however, -- CONTRAST)

1 確定の逆接条件を表し、内容の矛盾する事柄を対比的に結びつける意を表す。「言うことはりっぱだ―、することはなってない」「年はとっている―、実に活動的だ」

(2. 前置き)

2 ある事実を前置きとして述べ、本題に結びつける意を表す。「経験から言うんだ―、時間には厳しいほうがいい」「これおもしろい本だ―、君読まないか」

(3. sloppy connection)

3 二つの事柄を単に結びつける意を表す。「野球番組も好きだ―、音楽番組も好きだ」「時間もない―、金もない」

[終助]活用語の終止形に付く。

1 言い切りを避け、婉曲に表現する気持ちを表す。「あすなら行けるんです―」「父は今日出かけているんです―」

2 不安に思ったり、なかばあきらめたりしながらも、事柄の実現などを願う気持ちを表す。「このままお天気が続くといいんです―」

( The above two seem so similar -- are they the same ? )

• They are basically the same. It also means there are still some differences between them. – Hugh Chiou Sep 15 '16 at 3:21
  • が is 大和の言葉 that was used from beginning of times. Asking that is the same thing as asking for the ethymology of the word "and" in English. – vdudouyt Sep 15 '16 at 8:30
    @ValentinDudouyt There's a fairly well established explanation for how が came to be used conjunctively, I believe. – snailplane Sep 15 '16 at 10:19
  • "and" has an etymology, too. It is cognate to things like "anti-" and "end". By Old English the conjunction "and" had emerged (it was apparently a proto-Germanic innovation), but "and" was also still in use as a preposition meaning against, before, etc. "and heora ordfruman" = "before their creator", "andswaru" = "answer" (lit. against-speaking). – Matt Sep 27 '16 at 15:47

I think 「が」and 「けれども」are always interchangeable grammatically. However, 「だけど」you categorized as one variant is different since it starts with「だ」.

| improve this answer | |
   The etymology of English "and" seems interesting too.

「が」 格助詞 --(万葉集) 「君が行く」 「君が袖振る」 「近江の海夕波千鳥汝が鳴けば心もしのに古思ほゆ」. . .

I just learned that 「が」changed from 格助詞 to 接続助詞 and there's a famous example at the very beginning of Genji.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miya09132001/26484139.html

【原文】 いづれの御時にか、女御・更衣あまたさぶらひたまひける中に、いとやむごとなききはにはあらぬが、すぐれて時めきたまふありけり。

【谷崎潤一郎訳】 何と言う帝の御代のことでしたか、女御や更衣が大勢伺候していました中に、たいして重い身分ではなくて、誰よりも時めいている方がありました。

【与謝野晶子訳】 どの天皇様の御代であったか、女御とか更衣とかいわれる後宮がおおぜいいた中に、最上の貴族出身ではないが深い御寵愛を得ている人があった。

Scholars can't agree about this が、and Tanizaki's translation is closer to the traditional analysis (as 格助詞).

Please let me know if you know of early usage samples as 接続助詞 -- Thank you.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.