This question already has an answer here:

I saw both used for brown but looking at Google Translate it doesn't help me to understand what the difference is between the two. Can someone help me.

marked as duplicate by broccoli forest, macraf, naruto, Chocolate, snailboat Sep 15 '16 at 4:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• ちゃいろい has an extra 「い」 on the end. – istrasci Sep 14 '16 at 19:14

茶色   / 茶色い, 茶色の

ちゃいろ /  ちゃいろい

Noun   /   Adj.

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/380841

「赤い(red)」   「青い(blue)」   「白い(white)」   「黒い(black)」 

「黄色い(yellow)」   「茶色い(blown)」   -- adjectives.

The tricky part is ...

Sometimes, you can't add   い    at the end.

noun:   noun+の   ("no" adjective)

みどり:   みどりの    green

むらさき:   むらさきの   purple

ピンク:   ピンクの    pink

Anything else that 's tricky or interesting ?

Brownish    茶色っぽい

There's an elaborate 5- year old page here: Historical differences between colors that are i-adjectives and those that are simply nouns

The formatting in your answers is very hard to read. Maybe you could avoid putting strange spacing into your comments and answers? – snailboat Sep 14 '16 at 22:58
    @Mark そういう問題ではないと思いますが・・・ – snailboat Sep 15 '16 at 0:28
    @Mark No, we would say 全角スペース. – broccoli forest Sep 15 '16 at 4:52
    I have to admit that I also never have read an answer of yours because of difficult-to-read formatting. Using 全角スペース as a hack for alignment tabs etc. might work if we had a font where the full-width space is displayed as such across all devices and browsers. Unfortunately such a font doesn't exist. – Earthliŋ Sep 15 '16 at 6:13
    i.stack.imgur.com/EhE1j.png – Earthliŋ Sep 15 '16 at 6:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.