I saw both used for brown but looking at Google Translate it doesn't help me to understand what the difference is between the two. Can someone help me.

  • ちゃいろい has an extra 「い」 on the end. – istrasci Sep 14 '16 at 19:14

  茶色   / 茶色い, 茶色の

ちゃいろ /  ちゃいろい

Noun   /   Adj.


  「赤い(red)」   「青い(blue)」   「白い(white)」   「黒い(black)」 

  「黄色い(yellow)」   「茶色い(blown)」   -- adjectives.

The tricky part is ...

Sometimes, you can't add   い    at the end.

noun:   noun+の   ("no" adjective)

みどり:   みどりの    green

むらさき:   むらさきの   purple

ピンク:   ピンクの    pink

Anything else that 's tricky or interesting ?

       Brownish    茶色っぽい

There's an elaborate 5- year old page here: Historical differences between colors that are i-adjectives and those that are simply nouns

  • 5
    The formatting in your answers is very hard to read. Maybe you could avoid putting strange spacing into your comments and answers? – snailplane Sep 14 '16 at 22:58
  • 4
    @Mark そういう問題ではないと思いますが・・・ – snailplane Sep 15 '16 at 0:28
  • 4
    @Mark No, we would say 全角スペース. – broken laptop Sep 15 '16 at 4:52
  • 2
    I have to admit that I also never have read an answer of yours because of difficult-to-read formatting. Using 全角スペース as a hack for alignment tabs etc. might work if we had a font where the full-width space is displayed as such across all devices and browsers. Unfortunately such a font doesn't exist. – Earthliŋ Sep 15 '16 at 6:13
  • 2
    i.stack.imgur.com/EhE1j.png – Earthliŋ Sep 15 '16 at 6:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.