I browsed around this website (here and here) as well as around the internet but could not come up with a satisfactory answer, or at least well related to my case (though I might have missed that point).

Simply, the other day a quite old lady (over 70 I think) asked me 「楽しいでした?」 at the end of a shodou class.

My question is, is this just a polite version of 「楽しかった?」that somehow confuses me? In such case would that be more polite than 「楽しかったですか」?

Or is it just a way older people might talk sometimes? At the moment I heard it my first thought was whether she thought I could not speak Japanese and put it in a wrong but easy to understand form (as if she thought I might not know how to conjugate an いーadjective properly).

Maybe it's just a silly question but right there on the spot it confused me a bit and I would like some clarifications. Thanks.

• Next time ask her maybe ? – oldergod Sep 12 '16 at 6:43
    I never expect a native speaker of Japanese to say "楽しいでした". "she thought I could not speak Japanese and put it in a wrong but easy to understand form" +1 for your guess. One form of Pidgin, I'd say. – nodakai Sep 12 '16 at 10:06
    Are you sure you just didn't mishear 「楽しいでした?」 – istrasci Sep 12 '16 at 14:00
    Was there any hesitation in their voice? It could also be possible that the past tense was an afterthought or a similar mistake. I often find myself incapable of speaking my own native language properly (especially when tired!) – BDawg Sep 12 '16 at 14:36
    方言という可能性はないんでしょうか・・ – Chocolate Sep 13 '16 at 0:30

My assumption is that she asked 楽しいでしたか? In that case, it might sound natural, depending on the context.

I think it pays to bear in mind that people who speak a language at a native level often use the language in ways that we would consider as improper, on a grammatical level(e.g. how someone could be saying the most profound things, but wrt it ot lyk dis, bcuz dis is hw dey grw up wrtng out their thoughts n feelings). Grammar is still important, but as long as you can understand them, everything else is gravy

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.