So I was looking at a modular kit that was made in Japan, and inside of the box were some ink labels (I think CMYK). Here is a picture: Ink labels

I recognized three of the four kanji. The first being 墨 (black ink), third as 赤 (red), and the fourth as 黄 (yellow), but I cannot seem to recognize the second label. I have looked by radical and in the WWWJDIC dictonary by Jim Breen and could not find it. Could someone tell me what this is? I used the search terms "blue", "azure", and "cyan".

It's 藍 -- the character for indigo.

• 藍色 seems to tend to blue rather than violet compared to indigo. Natural indigo seems to be what is indicated here. – nhahtdh Sep 12 '16 at 8:01

I don't think this is actually Japanese. The normal terms for CYMK ink colours are シアン : イエロー : マゼンタ : クロ, whereas these appear to be the Chinese words for "Black, Blue, Red, Yellow". (I don't know much Chinese, but the first entry for 青い in a J-C dictionary is 藍.) If you look at the Chinese Wikipedia article https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%B0%E5%88%B7%E5%9B%9B%E5%88%86%E8%89%B2%E6%A8%A1%E5%BC%8F you will see that these do not match the standard Chinese terminology either. Something makes me think that these were generated in a country which does not speak either Japanese or Chinese, by asking someone who did not know anything about printing.

• The kit said it was manufactured in Japan, and also this was purchased in about the early '70s, so that could possibly make a difference. – Chinedu Ogechi Sep 11 '16 at 21:12
    I don't see any reasons for Japanese people to do not write 墨、藍、赤 and 黄 on ink labels, even considering that シアン 、 イエロー、 マゼンタ and クロ are common in the spoken language. – vdudouyt Sep 12 '16 at 10:57
  • コトバンク・日本大百科全書『多色印刷』」によれば、「黒( 印刷では墨という。 ブラックblack)のほかに、たとえば赤を入れるような2色印刷や、さらに青を入れるような3色印刷も多色印刷であり、 (イエローyellow)、 (紅、マゼンタmagenta)、 (あい)(シアンcyan)の3色にを加えた、いわゆる原色版印刷も多色印刷である。」、また、このページ→「印刷インキの基礎知識」によれば、「この4色をカラー印刷の基準インキ(プロセスインキ)といい、ブラック、シアン、マゼンタ、イエローを印刷ではそれぞれ、スミ( )、アイ( )、アカ( )、キ( )と呼びます。」だそうですよ。 – Chocolate Sep 16 '16 at 0:07
  • In that case I am completely wrong. Certainly writing 墨 for black seems reasonable; but using 藍色 (a deep, purplish blue) to refer to cyan (blue-green) does seem extremely odd. (But this terminology is often confused: my book does not agree with the other, but has confusion of its own, using 赤 for both red and magenta.) – Brian Chandler Sep 16 '16 at 7:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.