I'm learning Japanese but I find it extremely difficult to write out
exams in kanji. The hiragana version is much easier but I'm not sure if it's okay to do that.

For example, I would like to write

今日は試験だ。

as

今日はしけんだ。

Is that okay?

• Could you give an example of what you want to write? – snailplane Sep 10 '16 at 3:50
  • The app im using uses the example of "today is exam" 今日は試験だ。 – Finnegan Sep 10 '16 at 3:51
  • And how would you like to write it? (This will help users on the site understand your question better so they can write a specific answer.) – snailplane Sep 10 '16 at 3:54
  • I would want to write it like 今日はしけん – Finnegan Sep 10 '16 at 3:56
    Possible Duplicate: When should I replace kanji with hiragana? ? – Flaw Sep 10 '16 at 4:41

I think how to write Japanese sentences basically go as follow.

You had better write kanji designated for everyday use. If not. the sentences are possibly seemed that they are written by children or the person who doesn't know kanji. However words are sometimes purposely written in Hiragana to show a softness. This is a related link. Why is the place's official name written as "なら工藝館" (rather than "奈良工藝館")?

Katakana is usually used in imported and onomatopoeic words.

These aren't exact rules but you had better follow them unless you are advanced-level Japanese learner.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.