I know that もはや+negative verb means "no longer", and しか+negative verb means "only", "nothing but". But seeing them used together, as in the following sentence, got me a little confused.

多くの帯刀者はもはや脅威でしかありません!

Does this translate as:

Many taitosha are no longer only a threat!

or

Many taitosha are only a threat by now!

Thanks for your help!

is nothing but (でしかない) + anymore (もはや) -> "is nothing anymore but" <- Does it not make sense? – Chocolate Sep 9 '16 at 4:00

X でしかない === . . . has the only value (usefulness) of X

帯銃者は, もはや 脅威でしかありません

Gun-carriers are now nothing more than a threat.

Gun-carriers now constitute nothing more than a threat.

Gun-carriers now don't mean [ anything other than a threat ].

A gun-carrier now represents [ nothing but a threat ].

A gun-carrier now doesn't represent [ anything but a dangerous threat ].

I know that もはや+negative verb means "no longer",

Yes, that's right.

もはや doesn't have the meaning of NOT built into it.

もはや means that [something that was true] is not true (no longer true) after time T.

[something that was true] == carrying guns around (on one's person) had some value to society.

But this explanation doesn't match the following definitions completely. Or maybe it does.

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/220077/meaning/m0u/

もはや【最早】とは。[副]

1. ある事態が実現しようとしているさま。早くも。まさに。「―今年も暮れようとしている」

2. ある事態が変えられない ところ まで進んでいるさま。今となっては。もう。「―如何ともしがたい」「―これまで」

i wanted to add that ...   (for the 2nd sense just above) it seems that もはや is used only when there is a negation (in the text) or there is a negative sense (to describe the current state).

もはや自由な時代になったんだよ    is uncommon or impossible.

今や自由な時代になったんだよ    is much better.

|improve this answer|||||
  • So もはや can be translated as "now" (and not "no longer"), implying that in the past it wasn't like it is now? – Marco Sep 9 '16 at 20:21

This sentence means "Many taitosha are nothing more than a treat". It's confusing because "しかありません" becomes affirmative when translated on western languages, but it's still a negative in the sense of Japanese grammar.

多くの帯刀者はもはや脅威でしかありません!
With so many swordsmen out there now, it is impossible not to consider them a threat!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.