I'm aware of some of the meanings of とする but in this sentence

聞きおわると、彼は愕然としていた。

愕然 is apperently a noun that has something to do with feelings astonishment / shock etc

and one of the definitions of とする states that it has the meaning of to feel (e.g. after sound symbolism or psychological experience word)/to look/to feel like.

I don't quite understand the definition but i've just assumed that とする is used to express feelings but i can't find any examples other than with 愕然. In fact when i look for sentences with 愕然 they all have とする attached and i don't understand whether it's exclusively used with this noun or are there other examples.

4 Answers 4

Here are some similar phrases in the order they came up in my mind.

• 戦々恐々【せんせんきょうきょう】とする
  • 嬉々【きき】とする (eg 嬉々として話す)
  • のんびりとする (also written as のんびりする)
  • 堂々【どうどう】とする
  • 悄然【しょうぜん】とする
  • 恍惚【こうこつ】とする (eg 恍惚とした表情)
  • 憮然【ぶぜん】とする (eg 憮然とした表情)
  • 凜【りん】とする (eg 凜とした表情)
  • ゆっくりとする (also written as ゆっくりする)
  • こそこそとする (also written as こそこそする)
  • 飄々【ひょうひょう】とする (eg 飄々とした態度)

Please consult your favorite dictionary for the meanings because I really don't know how to translate many of these words naturally into English :)

Among these, のんびりと, ゆっくりと and こそこそと seem to belong to a difference category because と is optional and they can work as standalone adverbs which directly modify a verb without する (eg, ゆっくり(と)過ごす, のんびり(と)考える). 堂々と also works as a standalone adverb for whatever reason (eg, 堂々と語る). None of the words in the list works as a na-adjective.

For other (fairly difficult) kanji words, they are usually followed by ~とする/~として/~とした, and と cannot be omitted. And yes, they are all related to emotions and/or facial expressions.

• Can i use for example 戦々恐々と without する to modify a verb or is it only possible with のんびりと and similar words?
    – Moune
    Sep 11, 2016 at 4:18

There are many and many more samples of "とする" which means "to be" or "to feel something", especially (but not only) in Japanese literature:

「すでにショック状態で意識も朦朧としていた」 "I was already shocked and fainted"

「周りはしんとしていた」 "The surroundings were silent"

「釈然としないな」 "I'm not fully satisfied" (with explanation)

There are many [ ... 然とする ] words.       They are fancy ways of expressing : shocked, angy, scared, ....... etc. ......

奮然とする (inspired)     騒然とする (commotion)

呆然とする (at a loss, aghast)     憤然とする (angry)

判然とする (becomes clear)     慄然とする (scared)

嬌然とする (coquettish ?)

「憮然とする」   混然とする    あ然とする    粛然とする   得意然とする

「 Noun- 然とする」 「女王然とする」 「先生然とする」 「紳士然とする」

Present tense:     愕然とする      ---     愕然としている

Past tense:     愕然とした

But 愕然とした sounds like it only describes the moment of shock, so 愕然としていた is more often used, to show that the shock lasted some time.

http://www.geocities.jp/niwasaburoo/24asupekuto.html

「存在する」や関係・感覚を表す動詞のいくつかは「V-ている」の形にもなります。 意味の違いは ほとんど ありません。

存在する:存在している      違う:違っている

含む:含んでいる         感じる:感じている

It's interesting when a famous linguist says that there's almost no difference in the meanings of similar words (expressions).

According to the dictionary, 愕然 is always used with とする (or として): http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/je/11470/meaning/m0u/%E6%84%95%E7%84%B6/

So instead of memorizing 愕然 and とする as two separate words, you should memorize 愕然とする as one single verb.

It is more difficult trying to understand them separately.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .