I was wondering how you would translate this into an English sentence? I know that 漂う means "to drift" and 僕達 means "us", but I'm confused as to how to make a complete English sentence out of this.

Here's the full stanza (because this is from a song):

• 少しだけ寂しいけど 笑って (I will feel a little lonely, but let's smile)
  • 「さよなら」の代わりに言おう (and instead of saying "goodbye")
  • 「またね・また会いましょう」 (let's say "see you / let's meet again")
  • アオイハル 漂う 僕達 (???)

https://youtu.be/WEF3g7TPz-U?t=1m41s

(アオイハル is the title of the song, I know it means "Green Spring", does it actually add any meaning to the sentence?)

Thanks!

• アオイハル (青い春) means green spring, not blue summer.
    – Angelos
    Sep 8, 2016 at 11:59
  • Whoops, thanks for that. Must be still half-asleep from my nap.. Doesn't 青い mean blue though?
    – Melvin
    Sep 8, 2016 at 12:03
    You'll find this green/blue dichotomy a lot because they were once considered different shades of the same colour (notice how we call orange hair 'red', even though we now consider orange a separate colour).
    – Angelos
    Sep 8, 2016 at 12:09
  • @Nothingatall I love your English example for comparison! Just wanted to add for the op that, more specifically, 青 is still used to mean "green" for traffic lights (青になった = "turned green") and plants (including vegetables/fruits like 青りんご). There may be other cases, but that's all I've found so far.
    – BCDeWitt
    Sep 8, 2016 at 14:02
    「アオイハル・[青]{あお}い[春]{はる}」って、「[青春]{せいしゅん}」のことですよね・・・? -> ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E9%9D%92%E6%98%A5
    – chocolate
    Sep 8, 2016 at 14:14

1 Answer 1

Those of us drifting in the green spring [青春{アオイハル} (seishun)]

If aoiharu is an artistic-reference to seishun then this translation could work? I feel the lyricist is trying to tap into the fact that those in seishun are young and somewhat green or lost (read: drifting) but that's just a guess.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .