I was wondering how you would translate this into an English sentence? I know that 漂う means "to drift" and 僕達 means "us", but I'm confused as to how to make a complete English sentence out of this.

Here's the full stanza (because this is from a song):

• 少しだけ寂しいけど 笑って (I will feel a little lonely, but let's smile)
  • 「さよなら」の代わりに言おう (and instead of saying "goodbye")
  • 「またね・また会いましょう」 (let's say "see you / let's meet again")
  • アオイハル 漂う 僕達 (???)

https://youtu.be/WEF3g7TPz-U?t=1m41s

(アオイハル is the title of the song, I know it means "Green Spring", does it actually add any meaning to the sentence?)

Thanks!

• アオイハル (青い春) means green spring, not blue summer. – Aeon Akechi Sep 8 '16 at 11:59
  • Whoops, thanks for that. Must be still half-asleep from my nap.. Doesn't 青い mean blue though? – Melvin Sep 8 '16 at 12:03
    You'll find this green/blue dichotomy a lot because they were once considered different shades of the same colour (notice how we call orange hair 'red', even though we now consider orange a separate colour). – Aeon Akechi Sep 8 '16 at 12:09
  • @Nothingatall I love your English example for comparison! Just wanted to add for the op that, more specifically, 青 is still used to mean "green" for traffic lights (青になった = "turned green") and plants (including vegetables/fruits like 青りんご). There may be other cases, but that's all I've found so far. – BCDeWitt Sep 8 '16 at 14:02
    「アオイハル・[青]{あお}い[春]{はる}」って、「[青春]{せいしゅん}」のことですよね・・・? -> ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E9%9D%92%E6%98%A5 – Chocolate Sep 8 '16 at 14:14

Those of us drifting in the green spring [青春{アオイハル} (seishun)]

If aoiharu is an artistic-reference to seishun then this translation could work? I feel the lyricist is trying to tap into the fact that those in seishun are young and somewhat green or lost (read: drifting) but that's just a guess.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.