How would I say the following:

Can I continue studying Japanese?

I was thinking something along the lines of

Watashi wa nihongo o narau no tsudukimasuka?

It's probably wrong, and I could use some help.

• Are you using "can" in the sense of asking for permission (tudukete mo ii desu ka) or asking about the possibility (tudukeraremasu ka)? – Earthliŋ Sep 6 '16 at 11:08
  • It's more In a sense of permission I'd say – Lemon Sep 6 '16 at 11:13

There are three issues here.

1. Transitivity

tuduku (→ tudukimasu) is intransitive ("to continue [of its own accord]"). You need its transitive sibling tudukeru "to continue [sth.]" (→ tudukemasu).

2. Translation of "Can/May I..."

"Can/May I [verb]?" is usually translated using ~てもいいですか -te mo ii desu ka, here tudukete mo ii desu ka.

3. Grammar

nihongo wo narau no is a noun phrase, which should become the object of tudukeru. To make this grammatical you would need another particle wo, giving nihongo wo narau no wo tudukeru. A way to avoid two wos in the same sentence would be to substitute narau no by benkyō, for example. nihongo no benkyō wo tudukeru.

Putting everything together, I would suggest

nihongo no benkyō wo tudukete mo ii desu ka

as an improved version of your sentence.

You haven't given any context, so we can't determine whether this is a natural way of phrasing this question in your context.

• Thank you for the feedback, and the detailed explanation. The basic context of the sentence Is that, I haven't been to class for the longest amount of time, and I was wondering If I can continue studying from where I left off. The message Is intended for the teacher. – Lemon Sep 6 '16 at 12:03
  • There might be more elaborate ways to say something like "Can I continue studying Japanese from where I left off?", but for the context, I think the sentence you now have is fine, especially for a message from a (beginning) student to his/her teacher. (If you wait a few more hours/days you might get feedback from other people.) – Earthliŋ Sep 6 '16 at 12:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.