So in the question sentences:

1. 誰が盗んだのか
  2. キミが選んだことだろう?

In (1.), I thought that the の there is seeking an explanation.

But I found another sentence (2.) and I know that こと can follow a verb and 物 can follow an adjective to talk about them like nouns. Both can be replaced by の.

So if the の in sentence (1.) is not seeking an explanation and makes 盗んだ into a noun then what has the sentence become and how?

If the の is seeking an explanation then what has sentence (2.) become with 選んだこと(event of choosing)?

More specifically, I am confused with the structure of the following :
(subject + が + verb/adjective + の/物/こと+ か/question).
Please explain as detailed as possible.

こと can follow a verb and 物 can follow an adjective to talk about them like nouns.

This I think is not quite right. もの follows a verb (eg, 食べたもの = "the thing I ate") all the time, and こと follows an adjective (eg, 悪いこと = "an evil thing") all the time. Basically もの is for tangible objects and こと is for intangible things/ideas.

• 君が盗んだのだろう?: の in this sentence is so-called explanatory-no. I think の in this position (between a verb and だ/だろう/です/でしょう) is almost always explanatory の. "You stole it, didn't you?".
  • 君が盗んだんだろう?: And such の can often be replaced by in speech. "You stole it, didn't you?"
  • 君が盗んだものだろう?: This もの refers to the tangible thing which was stolen (e.g., a watch). "This is something you stole, isn't it?"
  • [×]君が盗んだことだろう?: This doesn't make much sense because こと refers to an intangible "matter", "event", "situation", etc. You cannot steal a situation.
  • 君が選んだのだろう?: This の is explanatory-no. "You decided it, didn't you?"
  • 君が選んだんだろう?: The same as above. "You decided it, didn't you?"
  • 君が選んだものだろう?: This makes sense if you are talking about some tangible object (e.g., a watch) the listener selected among other options. "It's something you decided on, isn't it?"
  • 君が選んだことだろう?: This makes sense if you are talking about someone's intangible decision (e.g., studying abroad, quitting a company). "It's something you decided on, isn't it?"
  • decideの使い方が間違っているかも…間違っていたら誰か直して下さい m(_ _)m – naruto Sep 6 '16 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.